Saturday, March 14, 2009

Crusin' to Midsommar

Getting to Tulsa for the 2009 festivities will be half the fun. After all, this year's theme, Volvo Kicks on Route 66 and the Tulsa activities, have been planned as a celebration of the America's Highway! Exploring Historic 66 along the original alignment(s) should be an integral part of your 2009 Midsommar experience.

Let's all make this the GREAT SWEDISH-AMERICAN ROAD TRIP.

As Midsommar participants are coming from all directions, there are three different Volvo Crusin' opportunities available:
  1. Independent travel;
  2. Route 66 Midsommar Arrival Convoy;
  3. East or West-Bound Volvo Hook-Up Caravan.
For those that wish to explore Route 66 following their own itinerary and pace can utilize the turn-by-turn directions available at
http://www.historic66.com/description/ (see link at right "Route 66 Links").
The website breaks down the entire Historic 66 route by individual state. These instructions have proven very comprehensive and reliable. Many Route 66 adventurers have completed the entire trip from Chicago to Santa Monica using this resource.

Plans are in the works to coordinate East & West-Bound Midsommar Arrival Convoys; each staged to arrive in Tulsa for the beginning of the Car Show. To accomplish this the convoys will leave early on Saturday morning and travel along the Route 66 alignment. A Convoy-Master will serve as leader, navigator and guide for the final miles to the Midsommar venue. It is anticipated that the convoy will last approximately 4 hours and complete the journey in time for vehicle placement at the Car Show.

The third opportunity to experience the Midsommar Route 66 experience is to join up with others along the way on the road to Tulsa with the Volvo Hook-Up Caravan. A designated Volvo Traveler will be completing a significant distance along Route 66. An itinerary with estimated locations and time checks will be sent to all event registrants prior to departure. Midsommar travelers will be invited to "hook up" and join the "caravan" as it motors Tulsa-Bound. The Caravans will meet the East & West-Bound Midsommar Arrival Convoys and become a component of the these groups for the final run to Tulsa.

While the Midsommar festivities in Tulsa will be a great deal of fun, to fully experience the spirit of this year's event, it is hoped that participants can partake of the nostalgia and lure of the open road that Route 66 represents for enthusiasts worldwide.

9 comments:

Lornie said...

For the trip to Tulsa, I will leave Tomahawk, Wi on Wed.,June 17,and plan to start from the Start of Route 66 in Chicago, very early on the 18 and start the trek to Tulsa. I understand that others may want to connect with me as I travel, which is great and exciting. Iam wondering if some of you can give me some unusal places to stop on the way (I do have books, etc, but people that live in the area know more than books). I have check the turn by turn maps, which are great, but a bit more than I need. I did this trip a few years ago to Albuquerque, but this will be different. It will be difficult for me to say where I will be at a certain time, but I can do the best I can. If you plan to travel with me, etc..maybe a telephone number or meeting place will help. I will do the best I can to accomodate everyone, if there is anyone.hahaha. Iam look for your suggestions! lornie

Glen said...

Hi Lornie.
I'm in St. Louis and plan to attend the Midsommer meet. I'd enjoy caravaning down Route 66 on Friday to spend the night in Joplin on the 19th, and then joining the other Volvos to parade into Tulsa. Keep me posted on your plans and let me know about what time you'll be thru St. Louis.
Glen
69 1800S
95 850 T-5R
stl_volvos@charter.net

lornie said...

I will do that..thanks for the reply!! For those of you who are traveling from the west..the route 66 diner in Albuquerque is a must see!

lornie said...

I have a tentative route through Illinois set. I will spend thursday traveling through Illionis and plan to stop at the following places along the way: The Gemini Giant at Willmington,Maybe Steve's Cafe in Chenoa, the Pig Hip restaurant in Broadwell, maybe our lady of the highway roadside shrine in Waggoner,then staying on old 66 as much as possible from Litchfield (the Ariston route 66 cafe), the Soulsby's gas station in Mt. Olive (I really enjoy old gas stations),the to the Chain of Rocks that crosses the Mississippi. The at sun up, start the drive through Missouri. Iam not sure where Iam staying yet in the St. Louis area. With my Scamp I can slide into a Wal Mart parking lot somewhere. If anyone has any other ideas about Illinois, please let me know, Iam super open to trying anything..well, almost anything. I will work on the Missouri ride on friday and plan to spend the night in Joplin. That is all for now. lornie

Tim/1800ES said...

Hello,
I am thinking of driving from western Michigan and want to meet and caravan with others. Anyone interested?
Tim

Unknown said...

HI Tim,
you are more than welcome to join me as I head to Tulsa. Iam not sure of the timing yet. I do know I will be driving through Illinois on the Thursday and plan to spend the night close to St. Louis. You are welcome to e mail me and we can stay in touch. I plan to start at the beginning, downtown Chicago, which is about 5.5 hours from where I live in northern Wi.

Lornie said...

for those who might be interested in joining me as I travel from the Chicago route 66 start. If you want to join me, etc. e mail me and I can leave you my cell phone number and can call as I travel to Tulsa, then you will know when I will be in certain places and when we can hook up. lornie

Phil said...

Has anyone established an Official Joplin meeting site yet? I would be happy to spend the night at some reasonably sanitary motel and join the convoy westward on Saturday morning.

Phil in Kansas City

Unknown said...

Don't think there is anything official, but the starting point on Saturday is the Panera. I'm staying at the Quality Inn, which is nearby.